During our childhood days, the long Eid holidays and UAE National Day holidays were two important holiday periods when we would spend most of our time outdoors with the whole family. It was the same for us too.
Al Ain was one of the most popular holiday destinations for families living in the UAE. I believe it was called the Oasis of the UAE, with its greenery and beautiful surroundings. At that time, most of my relatives from my father's side were also living in the UAE, which meant more opportunities to spend time with my cousins.
But I was quite an introvert child when I was around my relatives, whereas I was completely different with my friends. I would listen more than I spoke, especially when the whole family was together.
I still remember one particular trip to Al Ain. My brother was still a baby, and our relatives decided that we should all book a bus and travel together. I still have such good memories of that trip.
I remember dressing up in my favorite outfit, a beautiful skirt with a pink top, and getting ready for the journey. There was also the usual preparation of carrying plenty of food. We had both cooked food and ready-to-eat items, including potato chips, homemade Kerala snacks and so many other things. Somehow, food was always an important part of our family trips.
There were special areas built where we would stop for refreshments. We would all get down, have our homemade breakfast and, of course, make tea. The tea was usually made with milk powder and tea bags, using the hot water we carried in flasks.
Tea was a common factor or rather, a non-negotiable part of every trip in our family. My father's side of the family had a special love for tea. Any time of the day, we were always happy to have a cup of tea, or rather, a mug of tea! And yes, I was very much a part of that mug-of-tea tradition too.
The road trips in those days took much longer than they do today, but somehow, the time spent together also felt like so much more. That is what makes those journeys so nostalgic for me now.
I remember sitting quietly and listening to the conversations of the elders. My older cousins, who had Walkman's with them, would be listening to their music, and I would curiously listen to their conversations and whatever they had to say, rather than speaking much myself.
Looking back, the journey to Al Ain was not just about reaching the destination. It was about the bus ride, the food packed from home, the many tea breaks, the conversations, the cousins, the elders and all those little moments in between.
The journey may have taken longer back then, but I think the memories lasted much longer.
After that, our trips to Al Ain continued during my school days and even during my college days. But honestly, I don't have many good memories of those particular trips!
One of our college trips to Al Ain happened just after our exam results were announced. I had failed my Cost Accounting exam, and unfortunately, my friend had also not cleared her paper. So, in a way, the trip became more about discussing our grievances, talking about our results and trying to forget our disappointment! 😄 Anyway, Al Ain continued to be a part of our family and friends' trips over the years.
The last time I visited Al Ain was in 2017, and this time it was a beautiful family trip. We had so much fun together. In fact, looking back at those photographs, I feel like all of us were part of a meme! 😄 The pictures were so funny that recently we even turned some of them into meme stickers to share in our family WhatsApp group.
Life has changed so much since those childhood trips. As we grow older, there are more responsibilities, more roles to play and, of course, much less free time. We rarely get those long, carefree family days anymore.
Still, I try to make it a point to spend some quality time with my family whenever possible. The quantity of time have become less compared to those days.
Al Ain has been a part of so many different stages of my life whether it is childhood, school, college and adulthood. And maybe that is why, whenever I think of Al Ain, I don't remember just one trip. I remember different versions of myself, at different ages, travelling there with different people and creating different memories.
Above pictures are pictures from Al Ain Zoo, Hili Fun city and park. I know there are much places to see in Al Ain, which I will be exploring soon.
To be continued****


No comments:
Post a Comment