After a good vegetarian thali with sweet payasam, we headed to a nearby temple. Unfortunately, I cannot recollect the name of the temple now. I only remember that it was a temple dedicated Devi and an auspicious day and that the temple was quite crowded. To be honest, I don’t remember much else from that visit.
I should admit that by then, I was a little tired and exhausted for many reasons. Straight from work to flights, early morning tours, walking around Periya Kovil and Thanjavur Palace, and then a really good, hot vegetarian meal — yes, I was feeling sleepy!
My eyes were slowly closing, and I was missing the views around me. But not for long. A quick nap, and the traveller in me was ready again!
As the weather was quite cool, we opted for a taxi without air conditioning. Apparently, the drivers don’t use the AC unless you pay extra for it. But this actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. With the windows open, we could enjoy the beautiful village scenery, endless paddy fields and the cool breeze along the way. It felt much better than sitting inside an air-conditioned car.
Around 3 pm, the car stopped near the banks of the River Kaveri.
Oh, what can I say about that moment?
It was so refreshing that I simply did not feel like leaving. The cool river, the gentle breeze and the peaceful surroundings created such a relaxing ambience. At that moment, I honestly could not ask for anything more.
We all walked down the steps towards the river, dipped our feet in the cool water and stood there for some time. Somehow, it felt as though my exhausted body had suddenly been recharged. I felt so refreshed, almost as if I had just taken a good, long shower!
Near the banks of the River Kaveri is the Tyagaraja Samadhi, the resting place of Saint Tyagaraja, the legendary Carnatic music composer. This was an emotional moment for me, as I had never imagined that I would one day visit this place, as I never knew this exsisted and receive his blessings, especially for my daughter, who is so fond of dance and music. It felt even more special to be there and seek his blessings for her.
One thing I noticed during this trip was how temples and shrines seemed to be a part of everyday life in Thanjavur. Everywhere you turn, there is an idol, a small shrine or a temple quietly blending into the surroundings.
Even by the banks of the Kaveri, there was a beautiful idol of Lord Vinayaga. Somehow, seeing the idol there, surrounded by the river and nature, felt very special. It was simple, peaceful and beautiful, just another little moment that made this journey memorable.
We then proceeded to a Navagraha temple, followed by a visit to Thiruvaiyaru, where we were blessed with the opportunity to seek the divine blessings from Aiyarappar Temple, also known as Panchanadeeswarar Temple. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati
The name Thiruvaiyaru means “five rivers,” referring to the five rivers surrounding the town. The temple is renowned for its magnificent Chola-style stone carvings. Maha Shivaratri and Panguni festivals are among the important festivals celebrated at the temple. Revered as Dakshina Kailasam (Kailash of the South), Aiyarappar Temple holds immense spiritual and historical significance for devotees. Our last temple run in Tanjore was the Vasisteswarar temple, dedicated to Guru Bhagavan. The memory which I can recollect from the temple, is the fragrance of jasmine flowers and the lady who sold it.
And that marked the end of our mighty Tanjore trip. We headed back to the hotel for a quick refresh before checking out after dinner.
Our next destination was T. Nagar, Chennai. As mentioned earlier, we had planned to travel to T. Nagar by train, which was one of the reasons we chose one of the best hotels near Tanjore Railway Station. Once again, I must say that Hotel Yajappa did not disappoint us when it came to hospitality and service. They kindly arranged a drop-off for us at Tanjore Railway Station.
Our train journey was from Tanjore, and our destination was Mambalam Railway Station, which is approximately 1.5 km from central T. Nagar. Since we were expected to arrive in the early hours, well before dawn, we checked with the hotel reception about transportation from the station. They assured us that auto-rickshaw services were available 24 hours at Mambalam.
We had already booked our train tickets with the help of the hotel staff, so everything was arranged. Since Tanjore was the starting point of the train, we were fortunate enough to get seats in the General compartment.
What a day it was! It was my daughter’s first-ever experience travelling in a General coach. She was fascinated by the whole experience until she spotted a mouse running around inside the coach! She was both surprised and scared, and even today, we remember that moment with a good laugh.
Travel is not always about luxury or perfect arrangements. Sometimes, it is the unexpected little moment, the unfamiliar experiences, the small inconveniences, and the laughter that follows, that become the memories we treasure the most.
Every journey comes with its own share of expenses, experiences, surprises, and stories. But when those experiences become cherished memories, they give us the energy and excitement to start planning our next adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment